Are you facing some aches and pains, injuries, or illness that has you pondering the above question? Do you look back on past years and fear you will not feel that well again? Have you run the gamut of doctors and found yourself with pain or limitations?
Life can deal us some hard hands to take. There are more and more 'dis-eases' defined now than ever. It seems everywhere you look, people are dealing with illness and injury.
A person can get down looking ahead and thinking-'if I feel like this now, how will I feel in 20 years?' The truth is, if you get to work on it, it is very likely that you will feel better than you do now, in 20 years from now.
Of course, if you were reading this before your troubles began, you would have the advantage of possibly preventing some of the issues you have now. OK, we can't go back in time. We can't undo the poor decisions we made back when. But, you know what, we can start today to create the health we will have 20 years from now.
Really, the basics of good health will support you, help you avoid most illnesses, and turn your health around. It will take time. It will take effort. It will be an investment. It will not fit the current lifestyle of the average American. But you do have the power in your own mind to make choices on a daily basis that will lead you to better health.
And guess what, being sick, injured, limited, and tired, etc... takes time. It takes effort. It is expensive. That 20 years will go by whether you are taking care of yourself or not. And believe me, you will reap the rewards of what you spend your time, effort, and money on in those 20 years, whichever way you go.
Decide today to make great choices for yourself. You know what they are!
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. When you load your plate for a meal, make half the plate veggies, 1/4 healthy meat, and 1/4 healthy carbs. I won't go into detail on what makes a healthy meal- there are wonderful books and websites out there to teach you that. Read a few, choose one that you like, and get started. If you have a smart phone, you can even track your progress with an app.
- Move! Activity has been found to help heal and prevent nearly all illnesses!! That's amazing! Getting fit will change your life. Look for something that will be fun. You probably need a list of options, so you don't get bored. Find a buddy, it's easier to get moving if you know you have to be accountable.
- Sleep soundly. Take a look at your routine, and arrange your life so you get a good night's sleep.
- Develop your passions. Whether at work, play, or hobbies, have something in your life that really gets you excited. Don't know what that is? Observe what you love to do, what you would do without pay, what you can't stop talking about. Ask friends and family what lights up your eyes, a dead give-away.
- Set up a plan for self-care. Everyone needs preventive care. Get regular massage, take supplements, see your health practitioner on a regular basis. Massage on a regular basis has so many benefits! Take a look around my website to read up on some.
- Be conscious! Think about your situation, be honest, and be willing to be responsible for your own health and well-being. No one else will!
About the author: Stephanie Bish owns 'Blissful Body by Stephanie' in Ely, MN; also serving Babbitt, Virginia, Tower, and the Arrowhead Region. As a Massage Therapist, Structural Integrator, and Reiki Master Teacher, she enjoys guiding people on their path to well-being.
If you would like to use this article in your publication, you may if you use it in its entirety, including the author information.